Thursday, January 05, 2006

Plum and Almond Crisp (Page 816)

  • Date: Thursday, January 5th, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' apartment
  • Dining Companions: Chris, Emilee, and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B

More coin flipping chose this dessert treat. Prune plums couldn't be found at the neighborhood Andronico's so I used Red Plums instead. They produced a rather tart, tasty dessert. The fruit filling had extremely good flavor, but I thought the topping was a little bland. I prefer crisp toppings that contain oatmeal (as my mother has always made!) because the oats contribute something nice both in flavor and in texture. Overall, not a bad dessert. Perfect for those who prefer their desserts a bit on the tart side.

My day today started with some upsetting news, and I spent much of this morning a little shaken. As I was eating dessert tonight, I got to thinking about how much food can affect my mood and outlook. This crisp was exactly what I needed today: warm and comforting, but not overwhelmingly sweet. And as I was eating it, surrounded by people I love, I remembered how difficult times pass, and there will always be good food and kitchen tables flanked with friends to look forward to.

No comments: