Monday, January 30, 2006

Roasted Asparagus with Shallots and Sesame Seeds (Page 520)

  • Date: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 7:30pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Chris picked out this recipe. This asparagus made a very nice side dish to accompany the chicken (above). I always enjoy roasted asparagus. Usually I just season with lemon, pepper, and salt, but the addition of the shallots and sesame seeds in this recipe really worked well. They provided some textural and visual interest without overwhelming the flavor of the asparagus. I should have trimmed my asparagus a bit more than I did: the ends were a little tough. This is a very quick, satisying vegetable dish.

I was in Los Angeles over the weekend visiting friends. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really hate LA. People always tell me I just need to give it more time, that eventually I will come around, but I have been there many, many times and it just doesn't grow on me. The weekend was full of striking contrasts. One night I ate dinner at midnight at IHOP and the next day had brunch at a country club with at least one movie star in the room. I had dinner one night at some very hip restaurant where everything in the room was white, and nearly everyone was wearing black. The most striking contrast by far though was between my memories of one of the friends I was visiting, and the actual experience of visiting him. It's always weird when people that you are close to change significantly. Even when the changes are ultimately for the better, it always feels unsettling to me. I felt a little lost all weekend, as if I were searching for a person that I used to know, but who doesn't exist any more.

1 comment:

Chris said...

You'd think Teena of all people would like LA, because you can get such unbelievably good food there, and of every possible description and obscurity --- where else can you get heavenly carne asada tacos at 3am or have a 14 course banquet designed for Korean royalty? Of course, we did encounter some rats on our way to Disney Hall downtown. I don't think that improved Teena's attitude about LA.