Thursday, January 19, 2006

Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar (Page 803)

  • Date: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, Andrea, and Beau
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this recipe because it sounded good (yeah, yeah, I know, it's supposed to be random...). This dessert was fantastically easy and pretty good. I always love strawberries with balsamic vinegar and black pepper. The creme fraiche accompaniment was crucial to this dish -- I wouldn't recommend making it without. I served it in small ramekins and it was quite elegant.

Brian, Nathan, Anh, and I went to the Mediterranean Wrap place on California Ave for dinner tonight. Mmmmm.... falafel. I love that place -- the people that work there are just so friendly. And the food is both awesome and cheap! Anh told me all about smoking meat and making sausage (her hobbies) -- I may need to get a meat grinder!

One summer in college, Emilee and I lived with 5 other women in this little house in Palo Alto. Em was doing research at Stanford. I was doing research for NASA. Our house was small, and cute, with a sofa on the porch, and a swimming pool in the backyard. I remember so many moments in that house so clearly. I learned so much that summer. This fall, they tore the house down. I drove by this afternoon, and sat in the car, stopped in front of the now-empty lot, remembering. I am lucky, of course, to have so many good memories. But it's still hard, looking at the wreckage from a space that you loved, remembering the relationships that were housed there.

Seduced, I admit, by all the Oprah hype, I read "Night" by Elie Wiesel today. It was really powerful. I imagine that I will be haunted by it for quite some time.

No comments: