Friday, January 13, 2006

Quick Plum Preserves (Page 920)

  • Date: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this one because I wanted to make something that would keep for a while -- so preserves seemed like the way to go! This recipe is very easy and quite tasty. I appreciate the fact that these preserves are not too sweet -- often the fruit flavor in jams is masked by a tremendous amount of sugar. In this case the sugar is very minimal and it is really the flavors of plums and cinnamon that come through.

I have had a lot of dreams lately about food. In fact, I have had a lot of weird dreams in general. When I was 9 years old, I was sleeping over at my friend Heather's house and she told me that if you sleep on your back, you'll have nightmares. I wasn't sure whether to believe her. It seemed unlikely to be true, but she was so matter-of-fact about it. Apparently I believed it on some level -- in the months after she told me I would always go to sleep on my stomach and usually wake up on my stomach in the morning, but whenever I woke up from a nightmare, I was on my back. I believed her claim enough that I made it true for myself. Now, 16 years later, I still have nightmares when I sleep on my back. Understandably, I always go to sleep on my stomach, and when I'm at home I rarely turn over. But something about the air mattress I am sleeping on at Chris' makes me move around a lot -- I wake up nearly every night, in various stages of panic, on my back. When I was young, the nightmares bothered me, and I was sometimes scared to go to sleep at night. Now, I think it's interesting -- it forces me to see what scares me...

It's my friend Sam's birthday today: Happy Birthday Babe!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I've been eating the plum preserve (on bagels) every morning since Teena made it, and I decidedly think it deserves an upgrade to A-: it's tangy and flavorful and (as T noted) pleasantly reserved sweetnesswise.

Chris said...

I made another batch of the Quick Plum Preserves --- even at my amateur hand it turned out well, though a rather different color than the first batch (I suppose I picked a different kind of plum). Here's my question: since I am leaving Friday for three weeks, do you think I can freeze it and then thaw it when I return?

Teena said...

My guess is that it should be fine. Just put it in a tupperware in the freezer and when you get back let it thaw in the fridge. Fruit, and fruit based things, freeze pretty well in general.

Chris said...

Okay, great, I'll try that. Thanks!