Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Beef and Sausage Lasagne (Page 234)

  • Date: Tuesday, January 10th, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Sous Chef: Chris Douglas
  • Recipe Rating: B+

The online number generator chose this one. This lasagne is pretty good; Chris would argue it is quite good. It is really meaty -- it has beef, and veal, and sausage. The tomato and cheese are very secondary. And I agree that meat tastes good, but I expect lasagne to have a broad flavor profile, and this one just tastes like meat. I prefer a lasagne with deep flavors of slow cooked tomato sauce, and thick layers of cheese. I also really don't like no-boil lasagne noodles, but I used them since they were in the recipe. All that said, I did enjoy eating this lasagne, and despite my prejudices, I would recommend it for anyone who prefers his or her lasagne on the meaty side.

Question: why is it that so few grocery stores have good butchers? It seems that all the big supermarket chains have these tiny little butcher sections where you can pretty much only buy ground beef or chicken thighs. Whole Foods is the exception (I do love Whole Foods) -- if you want Cornish Game Hens, split, with the backbone removed, they don't bat an eye. My brother was making Osso Buco a while back, for which you need a particular cut of veal shank. He went to Little Italy in San Diego looking for it. When he asked around, everyone there told him the only place to buy it was Whole Foods! I thought that was funny. Around here Andronico's does seem to have a good selection of meat, and the guy there has been very patient with my requests, but Safeway was useless.

My office in the Stanford math department is turning into a little piece of Boston in California. My first officemate was Veronique, and then today, Izzet walked in! Apparently he had the same "IAP in California" idea that I did and we're going to be sharing an office for the rest of the month.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Teena had mixed feelings about this lasagne mostly, I think, because her mom's lasagne is so good (and has more of a thick tomato and cheese essence). But I thought the balanced combination of pasta, cheese, tomato, and meat was quite good in the Gourmet version. It's true that a little less meat and a little more tomato (but not more cheese!) would do well, but overall a strong showing.