Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Gingersnap Ice Cream Sandwiches (Page 867)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Chris, Emilee, and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: A-

More online random number generation chose this one. These are really, really good. The cookies themselves are great -- easily the best gingersnaps I've made! And with vanilla ice cream sandwiched between them, they are simply divine. The cookies are soft (even when frozen) and the turbinado sugar gives a nice crunch. Plus, they are just beautiful.

Today I went and sat in my pew. In Memorial Church there is this pew toward the left side of the church that is only half length, divided by a pillar. And in the late afternoon the sun comes through the stained glass and shines right there. When I was in college I would go there all the time -- to sit, to think, to sleep, sometimes to cry. It's always quiet there, and the lights are dim, and I can't help but feel safe and comforted. I have only ever been to one religious service in that church, but I have spent so many hours sitting in that pew. I don't have any other spaces like that in my life -- spaces that make me feel so close to myself -- not in Boston, not in Wisconsin. Perhaps that is part of the reason that California still feels like home to me. Today there wasn't any sun to shine through the stained glass, but I sat in my pew and felt very blessed.

I also met with Gunnar today (the prof. I am here to talk to) and attended Ralph's String Topology class. It's nice to be back in the swing of things...

No comments: