Saturday, January 14, 2006

Bananas Foster (Page 802)

  • Date: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companion: Brian
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Emilee picked this one. Mmmm.... Banana's Foster! This is really good and really easy --a combination that is hard to beat! We didn't have a problem lighting in on fire, but we had a tough time keeping it lit for long enough -- that may have had something to do with our alcohol selection (more on that later). It was tasty though -- perfect with vanilla ice cream!

So Emilee and I went to Beverages, & More (that comma before the & really bugs me!) to get the alcohol for this dessert. We were supposed to get dark rum and banana liqueur, but Emilee was a little overwhelmed by the idea of owning a huge bottle of banana liqueur (we considered stashing it at Chris', but ultimately decided against it). So we decided to consolidate, and we bought banana rum. In summary: I wouldn't recommend it. For one thing, I think that is why we had our problem lighting it (lower alcohol content than regular dark rum). Also, banana rum just isn't good. It was fine in the dessert, but we drank some solo with dinner, and it was pretty bad. Emilee noted aptly that it smelled shockingly like a banana flavored Runt. There apparently is a drink called Latin Love that contains banana rum though and we didn't try that. Could be good!

Brian made us dinner tonight: Tacos al Pastor! They were excellent. I love it when people cook for me! I would almost always rather eat in than out, but that means I usually cook. And I love to cook -- but I appreciate it so much when someone else cooks for me! Emilee made dinner for me, Spencer, Chris, and Bri last weekend and that was fantastic too!

1 comment:

Mike Hill said...

Oh man. Tacos al Pastor are probably my favorite kind of tacos! I love the sweetness of the pineapple with the meat. Yum!