Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Baked Figs with Grand Marnier and Whipped Cream (Page 804)

  • Date: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: C

I picked this one because figs are in season, so it seemed like the time to make it. It was bad though. The whipped cream and the syrup both tasted pretty good, but the figs themselves were just not good. Emilee tried to identify what the not-good flavor was, and the best she could come up with was that the dessert was dirt flavored! All three of us really like fresh figs, but this just didn't do them justice. Neither Emilee nor I even ate half of our dessert. Brian did really like it though. He ate his own serving, and Emilee's, and part of mine. In the interest of full disclosure: we used triple sec infused with some orange peel instead of Grand Marnier, so the dish wouldn't really ignite when we tried to flame it at the end (triple sec having a fairly low percentage of alcohol). I think that particular adjustment had very little bearing though on what we disliked about the overall dish.

My flight back to Boston leaves tomorrow morning. I try to never fly in the morning. I've noticed that I get much calmer throughout the day, so it's easier for me to do things that I find stressful if I do them in the afternoon. It makes me wonder if my whole life will take that trajectory too -- will I become calmer and less worried as I get older? On a flight recently I was sitting next to this wonderful lesbian couple. They were probably each about 60 years old. They had brought lunch on the airplane, which isn't uncommon of course. But the lunch they had brought was a multi-course meal including seafood chowder and lobster tails. They were so fun, and laid back. At some point the airplane made a pretty dramatic dive. I gasped. The woman in the seat next to me threw her hand in the air as if she were on a rollercoaster, and made a joyful noise. I wonder if I will ever be able to be that calm. I am certainly traveling on a path in that direction. Some things that used to cause me a lot of stress no longer seem like a big deal at all. But I still worry more than I would like to...

No comments: