Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Scallops Provencale (Page 319)

  • Date: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's House
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Richard, Anita, and Michael
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this one because I wanted to finally find out if I am allergic to scallops! I'm not sure how excited everyone else was to participate in my allergy discovery project, but it all turned out well. This dish wasn't spectacular though. As the scallops were cooked separately from the sauce, they didn't absorb a lot of the tomato and garlic flavors. Chris suggested the dish may have been better with bay scallops, which are smaller. Then they probably would have combined better with the sauce. The sauce had a very nice flavor. Richard suggested that it could have been thicker, and I think he's right about that. It was a little watery. All in all, this dish wasn't bad, but I wouldn't make it again.

I went to work today, then to the MIT gym (which was swarming with men), and finally to my book club meeting (which was swarming with women). It was a nice day.

I have been feeling generally very motivated lately. I have been quite productive at work, and unusually (for me!) disciplined at the gym. Oddly, the one thing I don't feel motivated to do this week is cook. It's not that I don't want to cook -- I think am just in denial about the fact that the people I usually cook with have mostly moved away. Usually when I think about cooking dinner here it involves Mike, or Vigleik and Shihchi, or Paul or Chris... I would love to cook with more of the people in my life here, but I worry that people don't actually enjoy cooking! I don't want to pressure anyone to cook with me who doesn't want to. The beauty of my old crew is that they all either like to cook, or are close enough friends to tell me when they don't want to. I don't mind cooking alone, of course, but it seems a little silly to make a huge multi-course meal just for me! So if any of you out there like to cook, and want to help with the project, you should let me know!

No comments: