Saturday, August 26, 2006

Romaine-Wrapped Halibut Fillets (Page 303)

  • Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Chris, Alex, Marco
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Marco ranked fish as his top choice for dinner, so I picked out this recipe. This fish was quite good. The halibut was moist and flaky. The lettuce absorbed a lot of flavor from the shallot butter, and it complemented the fish nicely. This dish was flavorful and tasty while still retaining a nice light feel, which is a great characteristic in a fish dish. It was the sort of entree that you can eat and afterwards feel satisfied and healthy. There wasn't anything amazing about this preparation, but it was a really solid summer dish that was very enjoyable.

Tonight Chris and I made scallops for dinner. True confession: I had never had a scallop before! Are you shocked? It's a little shocking. I grew up in the midwest, where seafood isn't really such a big thing. Plus, the younger version of myself was not at all an adventurous eater. I wasn't really picky, I just wasn't super-interested in trying new things. Then, the first time I ever remember eating an oyster, I had a strange reaction to it. I felt a little funny and had some trouble breathing afterwards. So, I became concerned that perhaps I am allergic to mollusks, and decided eating them might not be such a good idea. So, when I was in culinary school, and exposed to lots of new foods, I avoided all such dishes. Thus, I had never had a scallop. Until tonight. I decided it was time to start introducing some mollusks in to my diet, and see if I really am allergic. I figured this was best done in the company of people who are capable of handling an emergency. Hence I ate my scallops with Chris, Richard, Anita, and Michael. And I had no problem! I figure I will try clams or mussels next, and eventually I will make attempt number two at oysters. I need to start eating all these things, if for no other reason than to complete my project!

No comments: