Saturday, August 26, 2006

Cheddar Scallion Drop Biscuits (Page 597)

  • Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Alex and Marco
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this recipe because I am terribly behind on the "Breads and Crackers" section of The Book. These biscuits were odd in a way. They weren't great, but yet they were strangely addictive. The flavor was nice, but they were a little too chewy for a biscuit. I didn't overwork the dough, but maybe the addition of cheese made them chewy... I don't know. In any event, we all kept eating them long after we were full, even though we all agreed that they weren't great. I likely won't make them again, but I do think they would be a nice accompaniment to a big bowl of chili!

Before I got on the plane last week to come back to Boston, I asked Emilee if I could borrow the trashiest book she had to distract me on the flight. She handed me a book called "I Don't Know How She Does It." The cover is 5 different shades of pink. It seemed promising. I was a little embarassed to read said novel on the plane, as I was sitting next to the clearly very educated sister and brother-in-law of one of the faculty members in my department. So I am reading it now. I can't even put in to words how horrifying and depressing I find this book. I can't stop reading it though -- I keep hoping that there will be some miraculous turn of events, or something... The back of the book says it "brilliantly dramatizes the dilemma of every working mom." In my opinion it describes a horribly sad, overworked woman who feels constantly guilty for neglecting either her career or her children. But the worst part is, it makes it seem as though it has to be that way --as though there is no way to achieve the mysterious "balance" that people always refer to.

I shouldn't take it so personally. It's just a novel. And I don't even know whether or not I want to have kids. But I would like to believe that it is possible -- that a woman can be both a mother and have a career and not be miserable. This book just makes it seem so hopeless. My mother never worked. So although I know that many, many mothers do it, I have never really seen up close what it looks like. This book feels like my first glimpse, and it terrifies me!

No comments: