Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Oatmeal Coconut Raspberry Bars (Page 692)

  • Date: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef:: Mike
  • Dining Companions: Marco, Vigleik, Shihchi, and Jessie
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Mike and I picked out a dessert recipe for Friday that involved rhubarb, but we ended up not being able to find rhubarb anywhere, so we made this one because I already had all the ingredients. These bars seemed so promising, but they weren't really good. They were so intensely sweet that they were almost hard to eat (and I like sweet things!). Plus, the bottom crust had a very doughy, underbaked texture, although it was cooked through. I theoretically liked the combination of oatmeal, coconut, and raspberry, but it just didn't work well in these proportions. That said, they all got eaten within a few days, so they certainly weren't inedible!

It was incredibly hot here today -- so hot in fact that they kept threatening to turn off the air conditioning at MIT because the cooling system was overloaded. Actually, the many emails refered to it not as air conditioning but as "comfort cooling," which struck me as funny every time. In the end our offices remained "comfort cooled" but when Mike, V, Marco, and I tried to go the gym this afternoon we discovered that all the gyms on campus had closed because they couldn't cool them!

This morning I went to the doctor. He looked at my MRI films and blood work. I am doing so well that they are going to try reducing my medication by a third! He also talked me through the images, and showed me where the problem is, etc... which was really interesting. I know very little about the brain, so I learned a lot. I always get a little tense before going to these appointments. But today, all the news was good news! Yay!

No comments: