Monday, August 14, 2006

Brown-Buttered Corn with Basil (Page 534)

  • Date: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: A

I picked this corn because I wanted some vegetables for dinner last night after eating potato chips and cookies all day on our way back from Tahoe! This corn was amazing! Reading the recipe, it was not at all obvious that this dish would be particularly special, but it turned out to be just wonderful. Emilee even nominated it for the first A+ of the project! The brown butter and basil gave the corn a really fantastic flavor. I don't think I have ever had a better preparation of corn. I highly, highly recommend this dish. It's delicious and summery and would complement a wide variety of entrees. Even reheating the leftovers for lunch today I was struck by how great this recipe is!

We had an extremely successful meal out of The Book last night: grilled steak, potato salad, and this corn. Every dish was great! Well, dessert was a disaster (more on that when I get to it), but the rest of the meal was awesome. Actually, pretty much all the food I have eaten since arriving in California has been wonderful: yummy Vietnamese food with Soren, fabulous Indian food at Bret and Karen's wedding, etc... Shockingly, I haven't had any Mexican food yet! Usually when I come here I eat so much Mexican food that after a couple weeks no one will let me choose where we eat any more! I just never get tired of it...

Emilee is at the hospital, Brian is in the lab, and I have spent the day so far sitting at their kitchen table, listening to country radio and working. I had a lovely lunch of leftover steak, potatoes, and corn, and now I am feeling full, happy, and a little bit spoiled. I always feel so peaceful when I am here. But seriously, how could I not feel peaceful after spending the weekend somewhere that looks like this:

No comments: