Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sole Meuniere (Page 284)

  • Date: Monday, August 20, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Fish and Shellfish is another one of my slow sections, so Chris and I tried to pick a recipe from that section for dinner last night. Unfortunately, Whole Foods let us down and didn't have any red snapper for the dish we picked. So I ended up on the phone with my mom while I was at the grocery store, listening to her list recipes from The Book for me. This was one of her suggestions (and Whole Foods had sole) so we went with it. I was disappointed by this dish though. I think the butter to fish ratio was just too high for me. I like eating fish at least in part because it is such a light summer entree. This fish was fried in butter and then drenched in butter sauce -- it was just too much for me. The flavors were good, and the lemon-beurre noisette combination was nice, but I wouldn't make this dish again.

I had a dream the other night that I was standing at the altar, about to marry someone I wasn't in love with. What do you think that means? The weird thing was that the person I was about to marry was someone I actually know, but who I never dated (or even considered dating) and who I haven't seen or thought about since I was 17.

Maybe my dream reflects the fact that marriage really scares me. I was engaged once. And although at the time I felt that I understood both my feelings and his, I really didn't. I think marriage would not have been a good option for us. But what is still unclear to me is how I was supposed to know that at the time. Maybe these things always come out in time. So maybe the secret to a successful marriage is a long pre-marriage relationship. I wonder what the statistics are: does length of engagement correlate to length of marriage? I think I do want to get married someday, but probably not until I stop having nightmares about it!

No comments: