Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Caramelized Oranges (Page 808)

  • Date: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: C-

You tell me if this seems like a good idea to you: take orange slices and fry them in butter, then simmer them in orange-caramel sauce and eat. Well, it's not. To be fair, Chris and I picked this recipe because it sounded pretty questionable (better to make the questionable recipes when you are cooking with your closest friends!). I took two bites: the first one to try it and the second one to confirm my initial impression. Then I didn't want any more. I found this dessert very unpleasant. I think there is a reason we don't usually cook oranges. In particular, the texture of a cooked orange just isn't nice. Plus, the orange flavor did not go well with the caramel flavors in the dish. It was just not at all enjoyable to eat. Chris definitely ate more of it than I did, but he also found the dessert to be "not a winner."

Tonight Chris, Marco, and Alex came over for dinner and we made 5 recipes from The Book. One nice thing about having 4 cooks in the kitchen is that it makes 5 recipes seem quite manageable. Making 5 recipes alone for dinner is a bit much! But with the 4 of us together we made 5 dishes in a couple hours and had a very satisfying meal.

Next week is the last full week of summer before the term starts at MIT. Where did the summer go?!? I had such a fun and busy summer of traveling, working, and spending time with friends that it just flew by. Usually by the end of the summer I am ready for things to start up at MIT again. This year I feel like I could definitely use a few more weeks of summer though! Maybe that's just because I am starting to feel the pressure of job applications and thesis writing, etc... I think reality will set in even more once the semester starts. I have done a good job of making steady progress this summer, but I still feel overwhelmed by the idea of the next 9 months. Plus, Lars (my thesis advisor) is coming back from Japan very soon. That is (of course!) a good thing, but I always feel nervous about seeing him after not having seen him for many months.

No comments: