Thursday, August 03, 2006

Watermelon, Tomato, and Feta Salad (Page 145)

  • Date: Tuesday, August 1, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Peter's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Craig, Ana, and Peter
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Peter and I chose this recipe because it sounded intruiging and seemed appropriate for the hot weather on Tuesday. This salad was quite good. The watermelon-tomato-feta combination would never have occured to me, but it really worked well. We couldn't find white balsamic vinegar, so we used regular balsamic which seemed fine. The salad was tasty and refreshing -- perfect for a summer evening! I think it would have benefited from a little more cilantro and a little more vinegar, but other than that it was great!

Mike and I skipped the office today and did our work at Diesel in Davis square instead. When we were first years we used to go there all the time, but we hadn't been there together recently. This is my last few days with Mike before he moves. I'm leaving for California on Wednesday and when I get back he will have moved to Virginia. Being at Diesel today felt like a nice way to bookend our time together in graduate school. I think I am in denial about Mike and Vigleik moving away. The other day Vigleik commented that they had taken away his MIT gym priveledges, and my first thought was, "Why?" I think when I get back from California and neither of them is here, it is going to be a bit of a shock to my system.

This morning I woke up in a truly terrible mood. I just didn't want to get out of bed, which for me is really weird. I laid in bed for an extra hour, bundled under all my blankets, reading a novel. Honestly, I'm not sure what was wrong. Eventually I forced myself in to the shower and turned my country radio station way up (yes that's right: country!). After some country music and an afternoon with Mike (including a trip for ice cream!) I am in a much better mood. I'm still not sure why I am feeling so generally unmotivated this week though...

No comments: