Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Grilled Porterhouse Steak (Page 434)

  • Date: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: A-

When I visit Em and Brian I like to take advantage of the fact that they have a grill (since I can't grill at my place!), so I picked this recipe for dinner on Sunday. It was extremely good. Porterhouse is a wonderful cut of meat, and the recipe really did it justice. The mixed peppercorns were excellent on the steak. And while the grilling method seemed unusual (2 minutes over high heat and 15 minutes over a cool part of the grill), the steak was beautifully cooked. Brian grilled it, so he deserves the credit for perfect execution! This was just a great grilled steak recipe!

Mike moved to Virginia yesterday, so when I get back to Boston on Thursday he will be gone! Mike and I became friends our first week at MIT. When we were new graduate students, lots of people thought that Mike was an incoming graduate student and I was his girlfriend/wife. Eventually people figured out that I was a graduate student too, but it was a while before people realized that we weren't dating. We waited patiently for people to catch on, but even after 4 or 5 months in the department people were still asking us about our relationship! Eventually people understood the situation, but we are still often mistaken for a couple when we do things together. In the fall we volunteered on a farm for a day with some other MIT people, and one of our fellow volunteers asked us how long we had been married. I laughed so hard that I fell over in to the mud. Me falling over made Mike laugh hysterically, so there we were, sitting in the mud, laughing our asses off. It was a good moment for us.

Seriously though, what am I going to do without Mike at MIT? He is my source of all romantic advice, my personal trainer, my important email composer, etc... I'm excited for him as he starts his new job, but I am going to miss him! Here's a recent picture of the two of us:

No comments: