Monday, August 14, 2006

Potato and Thyme Salad (Page 148)

  • Date: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companion: Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this potato salad because it sounded summery and not too heavy. It was quite good. The dish was very simple, with clean flavors. Emilee commented that it was hard to give it too good of a grade because there are so many better things that you can do with potatoes. But for what it was, it was tasty. The thyme leaves complemented the red potatoes well. My only big complaint was that there was too much olive oil. The oil just pooled at the bottom of the serving bowl, which was a little unappealing. Overall though, this is a very solid dish for summer, and a nice alternative to a mayonaise-based potato salad.

Emilee commented at dinner tonight that it is easy to eat an entire meal and really enjoy it and then find yourself giving the food pretty low grades. It's true that with the grading scale as it is, where everything from a B- up is stuff that you enjoyed eating, the grades do seem a bit low. Someone asked me the other day what fraction of recipes get grades of A- or A. I guessed that it was about a third. The person then asked, "If the book is that bad, why don't you change books?" I was so shocked. The Book is fabulous! Actually, I have difficulty imagining doing this project from any other book. I think if a cookbook is so good that you would make a third of the recipes again and serve them to company (which are the criteria for an A-), that is a huge complement! I am starting to feel really attached to my copy of The Book too. (Ok, in all honesty I have 2 copies, but one of them is on my desk at work, so I rarely cook from it). I like all the stains, and the check marks next to the recipes I have completed. I have been cooking this week from Emilee's copy, which is pristine compared to mine! Plus, as the number of recipes I have made nears 200, it takes me a second sometimes to remember if I have made something already without my check marks to guide me.

No comments: