Monday, August 28, 2006

French Pea Soup (Page 96)

  • Date: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 7:30pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's House
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Richard, Anita, and Michael
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Chris and I decided to take advantage of Richard and Anita's beautiful kitchen, and make a big dinner on Saturday. Chris thought pea soup sounded like a good idea, and from the available choices, I selected this one. It was quite good. I am a huge fan of pureed vegetable soups, and this one did not disappoint. It was a beautiful green color, and the taste was interesting and pleasant. The flavors of the peas and mint really came through, while the leeks and lettuce added a nice depth. This was certainly the best hot soup I have made from The Book so far. Everyone around the table was in agreement that it was a lovely dish. One complaint: I didn't like the croutons. I much prefer larger homemade croutons (an inch or so on each side). That way they are crisy and lovely on the outside and still a bit soft on the interior. The croutons in this recipe were more like little rocks that very quickly absorbed a lot of soup and got very soggy. Not good.

My first year at MIT I met a guy in my building who asked me out on a date. I went out with him twice, and he was a good, smart, nice guy. But for some reason, spending time with him made me really boring. I wasn't bored by him - he was interesting and had a lot to say, but when I was with him, I just became a really extremely boring version of myself. I never figured out why. After a couple dates I told him I was too busy to see him again. In truth, I just didn't like myself when I was with him.

He was essentially a stranger, so it wasn't a problem, but what do you do when someone that you are close to brings out really unflattering parts of your personality? I thought a lot this weekend about how there are some people in my life who I really like and care about and enjoy spending time with, but who, for whatever reason, really bring out the worst in me. What do you do when you like your friend, but you don't like the person that you are when you are near him?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found you while looking for recipe. You prob. know this by now but our best friends satisfy more or most of the qualities we seek. We have different friends to satisfy differing elements or features of what we would desire. Some friends we enjoy because they are imaginative and unpredictable etc. You really didn't get to know this guy because he probably lacked some essential quality that would inspire you to pursue a relationship.

Teena said...

Welcome! Yeah, I didn't feel so bad about not liking the guy. It was more that I felt like he made me into a really boring version of myself. Definitely something to avoid!