Sunday, August 27, 2006

Thin Apple Tarts (Page 774)

  • Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Alex and Marco
  • Dining Companion: Chris
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this recipe because it was another one where I could try out my mandoline. These tarts were pretty good. Marco and Chris were quite enthusiastic about them -- I believe Marco even graded them an A, which for him is pretty rare. They were good. The tarts were quite pretty, and individual, which is always a bit more elegant. The crust was nice and crispy, and the apple slices were cooked just the right amount. The glaze also had a lot of good flavor. I think I could have glazed them more heavily than I did and that would have been an improvement. My only complaint was that they could have been sweeter. The crust was puff pastry, and hence not sweet at all, and the apples were Granny Smiths. There was some sweetness from the glaze, but it still didn't feel very dessert-like too me. Alex suggested it would be a good breakfast food. Overall though, these tarts were tasty and very easy to make!

Andrew (another topologist and friend who works with Chris at Stanford) came out to Chris' family's house this evening to hang out and eat dinner. The three of us got to talking about job stuff -- how they each have one, and I would like to get one -- and it got very depressing. At some point I decided I didn't want to talk about it any more, and I wandered upstairs to work. But I ended up instead putting on my pajamas and crawling in to bed for a nap. It was cold and rainy here today and it felt so nice to lay in bed in the middle of the afternoon, half-asleep under a big pile of covers. I can't remember the last time I did that. It was nice though, and it reminded me how much I like the way the air is crisp and slightly chilly in Boston in the fall. It gave me something to look forward to. I needed that. I have been feeling a little down lately. I miss everyone who moved away, and I am feeling quite stressed about work. Job applications are a scary thing for me -- on some level I know that whatever happens, it will be fine. Still, I think that the not knowing what's going to happen is hard for me. I have never been good at being patient.

1 comment:

Chris said...

These tarts were great, and deserved, I thought, an A-. The fact that they weren't too sweet was one of their greatest features --- just the right balance of sweetness with a tang from the apples and lemon juice and richness from the puff.

I'm beginning to think that the grading might be a bit harsh at the top -- with 62 A-'s and only 9 A's ... The food is so fabulous, maybe some of those A-'s deserve to be A's, and some of the A's A+'s. (Maybe this attitude bodes well for my students this year.) Just wait, Teena's going to give the French Pea Soup an A-, I can see it now, but it was so good!

Incidentally, Teena's going to get a great job, and has nothing to worry about. But as Andrew noted, such thoughts, however accurate, don't do much to relieve the stress of the application process.