Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Herbed Lima Bean Hummus (Page 15)

  • Date: Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Haynes, Juli, Mike, Tim, Vigleik, Shihchi
  • Recipe Rating: B+
I picked this one because I have a deep love of lima beans. This recipe was very controversial. I really liked it, but more than half of my dining companions thought it was not good. There were various complaints: too spicy, poor texture, tastes too much like lima beans (why is that a bad thing?!?), too bland, etc... I listened carefully to everyone's critiques, but I couldn't help but feel that they were all just wrong! I thought this spread was great. The herbs were really nice and complemented the lima bean puree well. The kick of cayenne was interesting without being overwhelming. And I thought the texture was much better than the texture of store-bought hummus (Haynes backed me up on this point!). This actually may have been my favorite dish of the entire meal. If I had eaten it alone, I likely would have given it a higher grade, but I want to take everyone else's opinions into account too.

On Sunday night, Haynes (one of the professors in my department) and his wife Juli came over for dinner with Mike, Tim, Vigleik, and Shihchi. It was a goodbye dinner of sorts for Mike and V. Haynes brought amazing wine to dinner. For instance a 1975 Saint-Julien Chateau Gruaurd Larose. I am pretty sure that I had never before had wine that was older than me! Haynes acquired the wine from the wife of another famous MIT topology professor, Frank Peterson, who died a few years before I got to MIT. Apparently he had a big collection of great wines!

We had a really fun dinner on Sunday. It was nice to do something to celebrate how much Mike and Vigleik have contributed to the topology group at MIT. I love Mike so much that I even made his favorite dessert rather than one from The Book! Shocking, I know! He begged for Salambos: eclairs, filled with coffee pastry cream and dipped in caramel. I made them and he ate four!

No comments: