Roasted Beet Salad (Page 147)
- Date: Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 8pm
- Location: Somerville, MA
- Kitchen: My Apartment
- Fellow Chefs: Mike, Vigleik, and Shihchi
- Dining Companions: Haynes, Juli, and Tim
- Recipe Rating: A-
I picked this one because the last beet dish I made from The Book was so good, so I thought I would try another one. For some reason I had trouble deciding if I liked this dish or not while I was eating it. I had no complaints about it, I just didn't want to finish it. In retrospect I think my portion was just too big. The salad was quite good. The beets had a lovely flavor
and color, and the dressing had a clean, pleasant taste that didn't overpower the flavor of the beets. I thought the crunchiness of the pears and almonds and the bite of the arugula provided nice contrast. For some reason Asian pears were impossible to find, so I used some European pears instead, and they worked really well, although I think the Asian pears would have been even better. This salad also had a lot of visual appeal. I was surprised, when we went around the room for comments, by how many people had never had beets before. Even the beet newcomers really liked this salad though!I am flying out to California this afternoon. My friend Bret is getting married over the weekend on the shore of Lake Tahoe. I am flying in to San Francisco today and on Friday afternoon Emilee, Brian, and I will drive out to Nevada. I am really looking forward to it. For one thing, there will be quite a few people at this wedding that I haven't seen in years! And the people I know well who will be there are all so fun! Whenever I mention that I am going to a wedding this weekend, people ask, "Who are you taking as a date?" Why is it not acceptable to go to a wedding alone? I was going to bring Paul to Bret's wedding, but then I decided that I didn't want to confuse matters. We broke up, so probably it's better for both of us to not go on pseudo-dates, especially ones that involve thousands of miles of travel! And I have tons of male friends that I could have asked, but I just don't understand what's wrong with going dateless. Emilee and Brian will be there, along with lots of other people that I know, so I am not going to be bored or lonely!
Honestly, I am not worried about eventually meeting the right guy, and settling down, etc... When I was younger, the idea that I might not find someone worried me a lot. Now, being 26 years old seems so young. I don't feel like I need to rush. I am starting to feel pressure from other people in my life though. Even my parents, who are the last people I would expect to pressure me to get married, seem to be subtley pushing me. And if I mention to one of my friends that I think someone is cute, or I have a crush, it becomes this huge thing... If you go to a wedding alone though, random people really feel at liberty to ask you all sorts of personal questions about why you don't have a date. Maybe that's why no one goes alone!
Ok, I should finish packing... I am sure I will do plenty of cooking and blogging from California!

No comments:
Post a Comment