Friday, August 11, 2006

Creamless Creamy Corn with Chives (Page 535)

  • Date: Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Shihchi and Vigleik
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Haynes, Tim, and Juli
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I picked this one because I love all things corn. The recipe was quite good. The creamed corn thickened up nicely and had a lovely subtle sweetness to it. The combination of pureed corn kernels and whole kernels gave it nice textural contrast. Most people agreed that this dish was quite good. My only real complaint is that the recipe really didn't make as much as I thought it would. It claims to serve 4, but I doubled it for 7 people and it wasn't enough. I would say that it really only serves 2 or 3.

Em, Brian, and I are headed to Tahoe this afternoon for Bret's wedding. Bret and I went to Stanford together. There was a big gang of us that spent most of our spare time together my last two years in college. It was the first (and only?) time in my life where I was a part of a big crew of friends that did everything together, like you always see on TV. I enjoyed it a lot. Every Friday and Saturday afternoon we would all start circulating instant messages figuring out which subset of us was free that night and what we were going to do. We also had a weekly poker game, which was inevitably a crazy and fun time! The funny thing is, although we went to many dinners, concerts, shows, baseball games, etc... the times I remember most are when we were all sitting on Elliot's front porch, drinking beer and hanging out late in to the night. I didn't cook much in college (time and kitchen space both being hard to find) and I still remember one day when we were all in Tahoe, Emilee and I set up a big taco bar. The guys were all so shocked that we knew how to cook ground beef for tacos. It was pretty funny. I miss those guys a lot. I keep thinking that we should have a big reunion sometime. People have drifted a bit though. If I get married someday I will force them all to come to my wedding!

No comments: