Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Classic Popovers (Page 603)

  • Date: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Southborough, MA
  • Kitchen: Richard and Anita's House
  • Dining Companions: Chris, Richard, Anita, and Michael
  • Recipe Rating: B+

The "Breads and Crackers" section is one that I am behind on, so I picked this recipe to catch up a little bit. These popovers were quite good. Popovers are amazing -- they are so easy to make, but so beautiful and tasty. I liked this recipe a lot. Chris thought the insides of the popovers were too moist. I agree that they could have been dried out more. Perhaps it would be better to take another 5 minutes off the initial bake and add it to the second bake, after the steam vent is cut. They had a nice flavor though, and they rose perfectly.

I have had a couple of wonderfully productive days in a row, which always puts me in a good mood! I think this year is going to be crazy busy, but I also think I am on track to get everything done in plenty of time! That's a good feeling.

Orientation started this week for the new MIT graduate students. As I was walking through the infinite corridor this morning, I walked through a herd of new students, waiting in line for pamphlets and instructions of some sort. I paused for a second to watch them. They looked so excited and scared. I remember that day. I was really excited. This is always an exciting time of year. I am looking forward to meeting the new graduate students and post-docs in the department. It's always nice having some new faces around. Plus, some people are finally moving up to the 4th floor to take the places of the people who graduated. It has been really deserted up there lately. Many days I am the only person on the whole floor. But today Peter and Max moved up there. It will be nice to have other people around again!

My book club meets tomorrow and I am only on page 54 of the book. Time to do some reading!

No comments: