Monday, August 21, 2006

Warm Chocolate-Raspberry Pudding Cake (Page 740)

  • Date: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Grace, Tigran, and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Emilee and I picked this one because it sounded so good! You can't appreciate it from the picture, but this cake was supremely ugly! Grace suggested that it would have been slightly cuter if we had flipped it on to a plate that was flatter. True, but still, if you make it: flip it and slice it in the kitchen and not in front of your guests! The cake part of this dessert was very good -- quite chocolately and wonderfully moist. The frosting was not as good. There was nothing in particular that was bad about it, it just wasn't inspiring. We served the cake with vanilla ice cream, but Em suggested that whipped cream would have been better. I think she's right about that. Overall though it was a tasty dessert!

I was at a party the other day and I had the following conversation with someone I had just met:

Her: "So, what do you do?"
Me: "I'm a graduate student."
Her: "That's cool. Where?"
Me: "MIT"
Her: "Oh, I'm sorry."

Is it just me, or is that really rude? I mean, I can't think of any situation in which I would ask someone what their job is and then respond "Oh, I'm sorry." I was a little shocked by that. It was just such an uninformed and unpleasant thing to say. I can only really speak to life in the math department of course, but I think MIT is a really fun, wonderful place to be a graduate student! I certainly don't feel like I deserve sympathy from a stranger! In terms of rude comments about my career it is second only to my all-time favorite, from a conference I went to in Montreal:

Professor: "So where do you study?"
Me: "MIT"
Professor: "Are you sure?"

That was pretty special. I managed not to say something totally awful in response, but it took some serious willpower!

No comments: