Friday, August 25, 2006

Zucchini and Carrots Julienne (Page 592)

  • Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Marco
  • Dining Companions: Alex and Chris
  • Recipe Rating: C

I picked this dish because I bought a mandoline a while ago, but hadn't tried it out yet. I though this recipe would be a good opportunity to give it a shot! I was disappointed by this dish though. It was just so... boring. That isn't even the right critique, because I would rather have just eaten the raw vegetables than eat this dish. There was something very unappealing about it. The vegetables weren't really overcooked - they definitely still had crunch to the bite - but they were still a bit limp. The flavors were fine, but any other preparation of carrots with zucchini would probably have been better. When I asked for opinions about this dish, everyone's response was something like, "I don't know. It's fine I guess." It wasn't anything special and I certainly wouldn't make it again.

My first year at MIT I was walking down the hall of the math department with one of the older graduate students when a young woman walked by in the other direction. My friend was staring at her, so I asked, "Who is that?" His response: "I don't know. Not a mathematician though." When I asked how he knew that when he didn't know who she was, he said, "She's wearing high heels. A mathematician would never wear heels." Huh. I just stared at him for a second, trying to figure out if he was serious. He was. And then I tried to think if I had ever seen a woman other than myself wearing high heels in a math department. I drew a blank. It was one of those moments in my life where I wondered if there are rules that everyone else knows and I just missed the day when they were laid out.

I still wear heels in the math department. But only at MIT. When I am at conferences, or visiting other departments, I wear modest flats with quiet soles. I was away from MIT so much this summer that my favorite strappy summer heels didn't make it out of the closet until last week. And when I wore them, they made my feet bleed. That seemed a little sad to me, that my feet aren't even used to wearing my favorite shoes any more. It's a sign that I have been away from Boston too much...

No comments: