Sunday, August 13, 2006

Roast Pork with Apricot and Shallot Stuffing (Page 466)

  • Date: Sunday, August 6, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Mike and Vigleik
  • Dining Companions: Shihchi, Tim, Haynes, and Juli
  • Recipe Rating: B

Mike picked this one as the entree for our dinner last weekend. It was pretty good. The apricot shallot stuffing complemented the pork quite nicely, and created a lovely visual effect. My main complaint was that the pork came out pretty tough. It was just overcooked. The recipe called for the pork to be pulled from the oven at 150 and to rest 20 minutes to 155 to 160. Reading that, I was quite wary -- it seemed too high to me. I rested it 20 minutes though, which left it right about at 160. Oddly enough, there is a little blurb about pork right below this recipe in The Book where they say that the final internal temperature should be 150 - 155 to retain its succulence. I think if I had pulled the pork from the oven at 140 and then rested it I would have been much happier with the outcome. It was still a good dish though and the flavors were very nice.

I am back in Palo Alto now after a lovely weekend in Tahoe. Bret's wedding was so fun! His family has a house right on Lake Tahoe and the ceremony and reception were in the backyard. During the ceremony we were facing right out over the lake and you could hear the water lapping on the shore in the background. It was just wonderful. Plus, I had never been to a traditional Sikh wedding before, so it was very interesting to compare how the traditions were both similar and distinct from what I am more used to. I did find myself wishing, however, that some of the ceremony would be in English, just so I could understand more of the content of the prayers and blessings that were taking place. It was a great weekend though. As with any Taylor family party, there was a lot of fantastic food, and even more alcohol! Most people were a little tipsy, which meant that the dancing was wild! Here's a picture of me and Emilee before the wedding reception, and a picture of the beautiful dinner tent.

No comments: