Sunday, August 20, 2006

Grilled Stuffed Flank Steak (Page 436)

  • Date: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Emilee and Brian
  • Dining Companions: Grace and Tigran
  • Recipe Rating: B
Emilee and I picked this one because I am trying to get some of the more time-consuming recipes done. Plus, it requires grilling, and Em and Brian have a grill! Our matambre (stuffed flank steak) came out ok. Its major flaw was that the filling was too salty, which made the whole dish seem salty. Given the amount of salt that bacon has in it, the filling probably did not need the additional salt that the recipe indicated. The net effect of the excess salt was that the flank steak tasted a bit like corned beef! The dish was beautiful though, and had a good flavor. The spinach and carrots in the stuffing came out very nicely. It was also fun to make -- butterflying a flank steak was a new experience. I've included a picture of our stuffed steak roll before we sliced it. Overall it was a pretty solid dish, and it was certainly impressive looking. I think we all agreed though that we would have preferred to eat a nice juicy porterhouse steak!

This is recipe number 200 in my project! I promised that I would have a party when I got to 200, so I should do that soon! I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been especially helpful with the project so far. First of all, thanks to all my eating and dining companions! When Alex made the index for the blog and I realized that there are 35 of you out there who have cooked or eaten at least 5 recipes from the project, I was amazed. You guys are awesome! Special thanks to those of you who have helped eat and/or cook more than 25 recipes so far: Chris, Emilee, Brian, Mike, Paul, Vigleik, Shichi, Marco, and Alex! I couldn't have gotten through 200 recipes without you! Thanks also to everyone who has graciously allowed me to cook in their kitchen: Chris, Emilee, Brian, Alex, Paul, Peter, Mom, and Dad. And a special thank you to Emilee, Brian, Paul, and Chris. The four of you have brought so much energy and enthusiasm to the project. You guys have been beside me in the kitchen through a very high percentage of these 200 recipes. I appreciate that so much!

A final thank you to everyone who reads the blog! And to those of you out there who follow my blog even though you are too far away to be a part of the project: I am thinking about you. Rach and Mel -- I can't wait to cook with you!

No comments: